Saturday, November 24, 2012

Mulher bonita não paga...



This morning I went to the farmer's market, atypically (as my psychologist mother would say) alone, as Felipe had a day gig, which meant that the street harassment multiplied exponentially. Among the less inappropriate things I heard and amongst the normal sweet talking from the venders, I heard a familiar line: mulher bonita não paga...mas também não leva (the pretty girl doesn´t pay...but she also doesn´t get anything) which still made me laugh at its utter dumbness. I later realized that it was familiar to me because of this video that made the rounds during the whole "shit x group of people say" trend.

Despite the harassment, it´s not actually an environment that feels at all unsafe, just raucous-y and, at times, smelly, now that we´re in summer and stuff gets pungent real fast in the hot sun. I just buy copious amounts of fruit (like the acerola, aka Barbados cherry, below) and vegetables and get the hell out of there.



No comments:

Post a Comment