Tuesday, May 20, 2014

How I wash clothes in Cali

Now that we've moved apartments (into my favorite neighborhood ever), we no longer have access to a washer (the dryer in Cali is the sun). I was looking around for laundromats, and Felipe had resigned himself to shlepping our laundry over to his mom's apartment every week, when a neighbor suggested we do what he does: rent a washing machine.



Meaning what, exactly? You call a phone number, and a guy shows up at your door with a washer, installs the pipes and bits for you, and then comes back in 4 hours to pick it up. For 5,000 pesos (about $2.50)! How cool is that? We don't have to deal with machine maintenance, and there's no machine taking up precious space in our reasonably-sized but small apartment. I'd say something like "I can't believe they don't have this in other places", but honestly it's hard for me to imagine how it's worth it for the company. It must be, though, or they wouldn't do it...and I for one am not complaining.

One of these days I will write about our new neighborhood, which is not an obvious choice for Cali, but as far as I'm concerned it's just about perfect. 

No comments:

Post a Comment